Pittsburgh can and should shine as a family town, a place to parent.Edit
Pittsburgh is about growing, healing, learning.
In Pittsburgh one learns how to play well with others, and that needs to be a priority we respect -- above all else.
Public dealings and issues that concern public spaces must be handled in a public process, with accountability, openness, votes, and real passions from wide audiences.
Attractions of the Pittsburgh region:Edit
- Family roots
- Vibrant, diverse community.
- Warm, tolerant, hospitable, flowing community groups with both a bigness that always insure the meeting of new faces, yet a sense of down-home closeness that brims with pride and belonging.
- Healthcare facilities.
- Outdoor activities: Rivers, state parks, rails-to-trails
- Not the best weather for this
- Nothing compared to the west, but good for the east coast.
- Near to West Virginia
- Affordable housing.
- Largely disaster free (earthquakes, hurricanes, forest-fire, etc)
- Many quiet, clean neighborhoods.
- Work ethic.
- Quality of life.
- Centralized North American location.
- Big-time spectator sports. (Pirates, Steelers, Penguins, Panthers, Dukes)
- Big city facilities in a smaller town.
- Carnegie museums, universities, cultural district. Pittsburgh has everything most people could ever want, but its size is not overwhelming.
- In history, Pittsburgh has been a place of power.
- Historical buildings and landmarks.
Attractions of the City for regional residents:Edit
- Much of the city is fragmented by hills, rivers, or semi-abandoned areas. Other parts of the city are walkable on the local level.
- History, especially in the architecture
- Open-mindedness of attitudes among city dwelers.
- Closeness to work, worship, study, hospitals.
- Fresh start
- Closer to work site, if work site is downtown or in Oakland.
- Pop City's listing of 10 things unique to Pittsburgh from September, 2006